Either partner in a marriage, civil union or domestic partnership can file for divorce as long as at least one member of the couple lives in the state. If you formed a domestic partnership or a civil union but now live elsewhere, you might not be able to dissolve the relationship legally in your new state. In that case, you can file in the county where the civil union or partnership took place.